Monday, September 9, 2013

Happy Fall Y'all

It may still be 90+ outside, but we are still pretending it is fall around here. Leyton loves holidays almost as much as me. He wanted to get the "fall celebrations" (decorations) out as soon as the summer ones went in the storage building. After seeing Halloween stuff out in almost every store we go to, Leyton told me one day, "I am going to be a red plane this year with a star for Halloween." He has been talking about it a lot and asking to borrow the iPad to look up pictures of planes on Pinterest, so last night we got to work. It only took a couple hours to build, then today we added spray paint and decorations. Bam, all set for Halloween next month. It is a good thing because Septembers and Octobers always seem crazy busy full of presentations, lesson plans, observations, midterms, plus lots of fun stuff like the fair, football games, carnivals, corn mazes. 



I started with an old car seat box. Then cut the ends a little bit to shape then end, I had to crawl inside to tape it from inside too. Then trimmed off the extra cardboard and saved it for the wings. The pilot has to have a way to get in, so I cut a hole in the top, bottom, and sides for arm room. Next added a rotor(?) to the top and wings on each side. Bend a flap and then cut it down the middle and put one side up and one side down to tape and balance it out. For the propeller I used a circle, made 3 propellers, and a paper plate. Today we spray painted it and added the star. I still need to add straps, but Leyton has been to busy playing with it.

Supplies: Large box, small box, tape, scissors, spray paint, paper, and cute kid!


Here is a look at the past couple costumes too. I love looking back to see how different Leyton looks at the same time each year and how his interests change. Willy Wonka is all about the candy, so an Oompa Loompa was a perfect costume. All I had to get was green hair spray, orange face paint, and a brown shirt. Ta-da an Oompa Loompa. This is still one of my favorite costumes, watching a little Oompa Loompa run around all night, hilarious! Leyton wore this in two years ago and to Boo at the Zoo last year too and won the costume contest.


Last year I asked Leyton what he wanted to be for Halloween and he told me, "a green John Deere tractor." I asked him if he wanted to be a farmer, "Nope a real John Deere tractor." Luckily Pinterest saved the day here too, apparently I do not have the only son who loves tractors! I searched for some inspiration and made him a John Deere tractor complete with working headlights, steering wheel, and built in candy storage!





Here is our Fall Family Fun bucket too. We love the summer one so much, that we made a fall one too last year. This one I just wrote on large popsicle sticks and covered with paper and put in a bucket from Target. The red ones are ones that are on a certain day, but the other days if Leyton gets bored he can pick any of them to do. 


1 comment:

  1. Wow - now that's impressive! My little boys would LOVE this. Thanks for sharing at After School!

    ReplyDelete